ASEAN Green Hotels
A Green Hotel as defined by this standard is an establishment for the promotion of the Environmentally friendly and Energy Conservation. This main management consist of engineering department, housekeeping department, front office department, facilities department e.g.
ASEAN Green Standard - Major Criteria and Requirements
- Promotion of environmental activities in order to encourage the involvement of hotel staff, clients and suppliers to participate in environmental management practices.
- Existence of plan for raising staff to be aware of environment i.e. training.
- Existence of environmental management plan for hotel operation.
- Existence of monitoring program for environmental management of hotels.
- Introduction of waste management techniques e.g. waste reduction, reuse, recycling, waste separation and composting.
- Encouragement of the involvement of hotel staff in waste reduction, reuse, recycling, waste separation and composting program.
- Encouragement of the involvement of hotel Guest in reuse, recycling, waste separation.
- Designation of smoking and non-smoking area.
- Regular monitoring and maintenance for equipment and hotel facilities to ensure the air quality i.e. air conditioning.
- Provision of clear signs for toxic substance.
- Appropriate hazardous waste disposal management.
- Regular inspection, cleaning and maintenance for storage in order to avoid leakage of gas or toxic chemical substance.
- Encouragement for the use of local products for hotel operation i.e. food and handicrafts.
- Encouragement for the use of environmentally friendly products.
- Existence of plans/activities to help improve quality of life of the community.
- Existence of awareness rising programs for local community on environmental protection.
- Creation of activities in promoting culture and traditional performance and local ways of life.
- Creation of job opportunity for local community.
- Introduction of energy saving techniques and / or energy saving technology and equipment for hotel to reduce energy consumption.
- Installation of meters/equipment to monitor energy consumption.
- Introduction of water saving techniques and / or use of water saving technology and equipment to reduce water consumption.
- Regular maintenance for water saving equipment.
- Encouragement of the involvement of hotel Guest in water saving.
- Ensure the quality of water used in the hotel.
- The use of mechanisms to prevent water contamination and reduce waste water generation.
- Promotion of the use of recyclable/grey water in operation i.e. watering trees.
- Encouragement for an appropriate use of wastewater treatment.